As they age, men may experience urination difficulties due to benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). BPH is a noncancerous enlargement of the prostate gland. It is a prevalent condition which can significantly impact quality of life. Evidence of prostate enlargement slowly becomes a part of the everyday lives of men who have it.
BPH symptoms start gradually and get more noticeable over time. When the prostate gland is enlarged, it affects the flow of urine, causing chronic, bothersome symptoms such as:
- Increased urinary frequency.
- An intense urge to urinate, especially during the night.
- Difficulty starting urination or initiating the urinary stream.
- A noticeable decline in the force of the urine stream.
- A sensation of residual urine after emptying the bladder.
- A urine flow that starts and stops irregularly while urinating.
While these symptoms do not always indicate BPH, they do merit a thorough examination with a urologist to determine their cause and, ideally, devise a strategy for effective management.
While BPH symptoms are bothersome, the advent of innovative treatments like Rezūm has presented an option for relief for many.
Rezūm for BPH is a minimally invasive therapy that uses the power of water vapor to treat the source of the problem. The procedure involves injecting controlled amounts of steam into the prostate gland. The steam targets the excess prostate tissue that causes the obstruction. The body’s natural healing response is to absorb the treated tissue, reducing the gland’s size, opening up the urethra, and alleviating symptoms.
The Benefit of Rezūm Therapy
Rezūm may benefit men relying on continuous medication with potential side effects or who wish to avoid more intensive surgical interventions. Benefits include:
- It is minimally invasive – no incisions are involved.
- Preservation of sexual function means less risk of impacting sexual performance compared to other surgical treatments.
- It is a quick procedure, often completed within a single session.
- Demonstrated to work in relieving bothersome BPH symptoms.
The Rezūm Procedure
Rezūm therapy is usually performed directly in your urologist’s office or at an outpatient surgery center. The procedure is quick and can be completed within the convenience of a single, brief appointment.
- A specially designed device is inserted through the urethra to the prostate.
- Controlled, 9-second bursts of water vapor are injected into the prostate tissue.
You and your doctor will discuss pain control options ahead of time to ensure comfort throughout the procedure.
Recovery from Rezūm Therapy
Recovery from Rezūm therapy is relatively quick and straightforward. Most men return to their routine activities within a few days. Some temporary side effects might occur but typically resolve promptly. These include:
- Minor bleeding
- Urgency to urinate
Over time, the body naturally absorbs the affected cells, reducing prostate size and alleviating symptoms.
Am I A Candidate For Rezūm?
Rezūm is an option for men dealing with the often debilitating symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia. With its effectiveness, safety, and convenience, Rezūm offers an alternative for those who want to move away from traditional medications or more invasive procedures.
Schedule a consultation and speak to one of our specialists to determine if Rezūm is a solution for providing lasting BPH symptom relief. Call today – 843.347.2450!